Design Concepts and Approaches
Once a project track is established with a clearly communicated specification, the Airex engineering team can start the development process. It is in this phase of each project that the product parameters are affirmed and fixed.
A solid conceptual approach is required to optimize your product's success. Airex considers this phase of the program to be the foundation of all subsequent design. The product parameters developed in this phase transform concepts into reality.
We address the conceptual design with innovative thinking unsurpassed in the world of electromagnetics. Our design approach applies over a range of products from singular components to fully integrated systems. Our design process accommodates quality requirements from high performance commercial grade to fully qualified space components.
- During the Conceptualization process a product design strategy develops and size/configuration is determined.
- The use of advanced technology and Computer Aided Design Tools are key to our design process. This technology includes Lumped Parameter Models, Solid Models, 3D Magnetic FEA and Thermal FEA. We also develop and implement custom design software to supplement the computer models and license off-site customer interaction. Computer driven models allow cost effective optimization across the design space.
- The Materials Study in this phase secures the appropriate balance between performance and cost. Design models are continuously updated with material sampling, source data, empirical testing, statistical analysis and incoming inspections.
- Initial Costing includes evaluation of the cost of technology that may enhance or expedite the product's development. Estimations of tooling and manufacturing costs are weighed against volume requirements and schedule to complete the program implementation.
- Process Evaluation is an integral part of the design activity. A matrix of anticipated production tooling and associated processes is evaluated and dynamically applied over the product life cycle. Documentation is initiated in conformance with our ISO 9001 plan for all manufacturing processes, tests and methods at this point in the program.
- Key Subcontractors and Vendors are critical to the success of every project. Vendor credentials and services are continuously monitored thru in-coming inspections, on-site evaluations and quality audits. Airex has a history of productive relationships with these vendors and takes pride in these associations.
- A Project Schedule is created with work tasks, timelines, resources and delivery dates established. Airex places a high priority on delivery schedules throughout the entire development process. We begin all projects with a contract review that outlines every aspect of the program. The conceptual phase of the program is the initiation of this schedule.
- Concept Verification occurs with the implementation of test slices, alternative model data and magnetic scanning. Engineering trials and customer reviews of breadboard samples lead us to concise verification of the design.